Monday, May 12, 2008

Cue manical laughter

Folks, I had a fantastic weekend. I renewed my love for Apple, regenerated my love for AC/DC, fell in love with a wonderful book, and lost myself utterly and completely in an amazing movie. To top it of, I found some new pretty cars. Does it get better? No, my gentle readers, it does not.

I will start with my book. It's called The Host, by Stephenie Meyer (the woman writing the Twilight series). I am a huge fan of Twilight, and really doubted that she could equal or top herself. Never have I been so happy to be proven wrong. It started a little slow, but picked up and was completely gripping. The characters were very well written, the plot was intricate, it was morally intriguing, and was thrilling until the very last page. The Host takes the cake for best book I have read in quite awhile. (It's a science fiction book)

Aw, AC/DC. I was never really a big fan, but as of recently I have been craving the drums and crazy guitar. So, my new favorite AC/DC songs are Back in Black and Hells Bells (sorry Mom).

Now, the movie. Yesterday my friend's mom called. Her son wanted to see Iron Man, but she didn't want him to go alone, and his sister (my friend) would go if I went. Did I want to? I said sure, and we made a plan to see the 1:00 showing. Earlier I had been planning on seeing it with my brother, but it couldn't hurt to go now.

It was so good. Robert Downey Jr. was amazing and had a lot of fun in his role of Tony Stark/Iron Man. It didn't hurt that he is pretty easy to look at. The supporting cast (Jeff Bridges, Gwyneth Paltrow and Terrance Howard) did a superb job. The score was very well done, keeping with the tone of the movie (lots of heavy guitar and drums, ya!), CGI was not stupidly over the top, the dialog was witty and entertaining, with minimal cheesy-ness. It was a "guy" movie in some ways, i.e. lots of blowing things up, fast cars, fighting, ect. Personally, I like the blowing stuff up and fast cars, so it was all good. Over all, it was a first class movie. Which is why, when my brother got home that very same day, I hustled him to the 7:30 show. It was just as amazing the second time around.

Which leads me to the cars. Oh, they were pretty. And so, so fast. I got these cars from Iron Man. First, the Saleen S7. Capable of over 200 mph, 0-60 in under 3 seconds and, unless I am very much mistaken, 750 bhp. This is the orange car in Tony's garage. $395,000

The Audi R8. Oh my goodness. It's yummy. 420hp, 0-62 in 4.6 seconds, manual 6 speed transmission, top speed of 187mph, and leather interior. Its sleek, its fast, and it starts at $109,000. A friend once asked me if I had a dream car. I think this just might qualify. This car in the movie is driven a lot of places. It is silver with black side panels.

The Telsa Roadster. Any car that has pictures for the "exterior" and the "cockpit" has to be cool. And this is no exception. The 2008 Telsa Roadster is the first 100% electric sports car, going from 0-60 in 3.9 seconds, 248hp peak, top speed of 125mph, and it has heated seats. Inspired by the Lotus Elise, with design help from Lotus cars. My favorite thing about this car is it's electric. That just tickles me no end. $98,000

Bugatti Veyron 16.4. Holy cow. 1,001 total hp (this information is coming from the Bugatti website), with a top speed of over 400km per hour (thats 248 mph), 0-62 in 2.5 seconds. German made, it has a price tag of $1.3 million.

Lamborghini Revneton. Inspired by the F-22 Raptor, 650hp, 0-60 in 3.5 seconds. It apparently comes with a built in G-Force meter. I can't decide if that is necessary or aesthetic. $1.54600 million dollars.

Whew. Well, that is just about all that has happened as of recently, so I am now going to read my Discover magazine. Good day, and good luck.

No comments: